M3 has extensive experience with construction management projects where we act as an agent for the owner and are responsible for construction schedule and budgets. As such, we eliminate general contractor markups to provide the lowest cost option for construction.
We perform construction management through our subsidiary, M3 Engineering and Construction, Inc. (formed in 1988). While our company remains focused on engineering, we have also become a licensed Contractor in several states in the USA. Our branch in Hermosillo, Sonora (M3 Mexicana) is also a licensed contractor in Mexico.
We offer a full range of services for construction management, which range from limited assistance to complete management. We have experienced teams available for work domestically and internationally. Our quality program is available in both English and Spanish. We are experienced in lump sum, time and material, unit rate, and design/build contracts. We have also worked on many projects when the procurement was done by the Owner while we performed site materials management. Our services include:
- Bid Evaluation
- Budget Preparation
- Monthly Reports
- Construction Management as Advisor (CMa) Services
- Capital Cost Estimating
- Requests for Quotation
- Operating and Maintenance Manuals
- Contract Administration
- Operating Cost Estimating
- Shop Drawing Review
- Constructability Review
- Surveying (Subconsultant)
- Cost Control
- Plant Startup
- Systems Retrofits
- Purchase Orders
- Testing (Subconsultant)
- Field Engineering
- Purchase Requisitions
- Value Engineering
Our project management has special experience in power distribution, instrumentation, plant operations, complex piping systems, cold climates and remote civil projects.
We have a complete multi-volume safety program in place that is administered by an instructor certified by both OSHA and MSHA. Due to the large number of retrofit and upgrade projects that we design, our engineering and project services staff receive various safety training courses, including:
- MSHA on an annual basis for mining operations
- OSHA for manufacturing facilities
- Site-specific training for industrial facilities
- Training in job-specific personal protection equipment
We receive a Browz Certificate of Compliance each year; Browz performs safety screening for several large industrial companies. For years we have also earned and maintained an enviable EMR Workers Compensation Insurance Experience Modification Rate. Some examples of the rates we have earned have included the following:
- 2018 EMR Rate: 0.80
- 2017 EMR Rate: 0.76
- 2016 EMR Rate: 0.58
- 2015 EMR Rate: 0.57
- 2014 EMR Rate: 0.57
- 2013 EMR Rate: 0.67
In addition, some of our clients now require a formal hazard evaluation risk analysis. Our engineering reports document factors considered in our design to ensure safe construction, maintenance, operations and reclamation.
During construction, we carry out regular safety sessions for personnel to advise regarding specific hazards and foster communication among crews. Some of the meetings we hold include:
- Daily “Tailgate” Safety Meetings - Individual crews meet in their work areas prior to the start of the day’s work, dealing with very specific issues related to their work. For example, electrical crews will be advised of things they must watch out for, such as live electrical connections or underground utilities. Other site hazards may include warning of the presence of bees and venomous reptiles or actions to take in the event of adverse weather.
- Weekly General Safety Sessions - Once a suitable building is available, site construction management personnel will host general weekly safety sessions that include all site personnel. These meetings will present general advice, a short description of major events from the past week, and are meant to encourage communication between various work crews while again emphasizing the importance of safety on the project.